- Effective story reading
- Reading for mindfulness and well-being
- Inclusive children’s books
- Museum provision for babies and under 5s
- Children and families in libraries
- Delivering high quality museum learning for children
- Effective rhyme times
- Object-based learning
- Supporting looked-after children
- Stretching able readers
- Special needs and reading
- Boys and reading
- Developing exciting book corners and class libraries
- Using picture books to support learning
- Effective school libraries
- Family literacy
- Reading for pleasure
- Laying the foundations for reading
Areas of expertise
- reading in the early years
- reading for pleasure
- family literacy
- school libraries
- picture books
- book corners
- boys’ reading
- special needs and reading
- able readers
- looked-after children
- object-based learning
- rhyme times
- museum work with children
- library provision for children
- inclusive books
Anne has been an independent trainer for twenty years. She supplies courses and in-service training for national and regional bodies, local authorities, pre-schools, schools, museums and other organisations throughout Britain and internationally. She frequently speaks at conferences.
The focus of all Anne’s training is on helping children to become independent and happy learners. Her courses and inset on reading, for example, explore a wide range of inclusive methods for nurturing a love of books and reading and delivering literacy as an integral part of everything the setting does.
Anne tailors all her training to the needs of clients and participants. Her courses are very practical, and packed with up-to-date information and useful tips. They are fully participative, with opportunities throughout to share concerns, ideas and good practice. Every course is backed up with comprehensive handouts.
Anne has written numerous articles on children’s reading. She regularly blogs about children’s books and reading and her other areas of expertise. She reviews children’s books for two national journals.
Prior to setting up her training business, Anne worked in libraries, including as children’s librarian and manager of young people’s library services. Her experience also includes over a decade as a family literacy tutor, eight years as a school governor, and many years teaching literature to adults.