In our busy early years settings, the SENCO role is not often given the importance it deserves and needs to fully develop into a leadership role. This course aims to:
- Explain the role of the SENCO in the context of leadership
- Clarify the difference between leader and manager
- Establish the key responsibilities of the role and how to effectively fulfil them
- Consider practical ways to use time management and decrease workload
- Explore how to effectively implement change in practice
The course will briefly look at some of the recent theories on leadership, change management and coaching.
Links to Early Years and SEND guidance: Statutory Framework for the EYFS 2021 (‘Special Educational Needs’ point 3.68); SEND Code of Practice 2015 (‘The Role of the SENCO’ points 5.52-5.54 and 6.84-6.94).
Audience: SENCOs in Early Years PVI Settings and Schools
Trainer: Carla Cornelius