What is early years pedagogy?
When we talk about pedagogy in the early years, we mean how we teach, or all the things that adults do to foster children’s learning and development. It covers a broad range of actions and activities, as the following quote illustrates:
The role of the adult is crucial, and their ability to establish positive relationships with children:
Observation, assessment and planning are at the core of effective early years pedagogy.
Find out more
For a more in depth exploration of aspects of early years pedagogy, you can:
- browse our articles about early years pedagogy and our collections of resources from projects which cover particular issues in greater depth
- listen to one of our podcasts
- seek out more articles of interest in our blog
- read our termly Early Education Journal (requires member login)
- come to one of our professional learning events
Articles about early years pedagogy
Cursive or joined up writing in the early years We already know that there is no mention of handwriting, joined up or cursive writing styles
Exploring the Wider World
Outdoors and Active
Using Early Years Pupil Premium effectively
Child-Centred Competences for Early Childhood Education and Care
Welcome to our Early Education Pedagogic Podcasts (PedPods) featuring pedagogical conversations with early years leaders, teachers and trainers. All our podcasts are available to download for free.