The Department for Education has today published the two versions of the EYFS Statutory Framework which will apply from 4 January 2024:
- EYFS statutory framework for childminders
- EYFS statutory framework for group and school-based providers
These incorporate the changes set out in the government’s response to its consultation on the proposed changes. The main changes for group-based providers include:
- A change from “must” to “may” in relation to “take reasonable steps to provide opportunities for children to develop and use their home language in play and learning, supporting their language development at home.”
- Removing the requirement for staff to have a level 2 maths qualification alongside a full and relevant Level 3 qualification to count in ratios (NB Level 2 English will still be required). Setting managers employed on or after 4 January 2024 must hold a level 2 maths qualification, or they must achieve one within 2 years of starting in the position.
- The flexibility for “Suitable students on long term placements and volunteers (aged 17 or over) and staff working as apprentices in early education (aged 16 or over) may be included in the ratios at the level below their level of study, if the provider is satisfied that they are competent and responsible.”
The new frameworks are accompanied by guidance on Early years qualification requirements and standards setting out the qualifications that staff must hold to be included in the specified staff:child ratios at levels 2, 3 and 6 of the early years foundation stage (EYFS) from 4 January 2014.