Early years pedagogy is the theory that informs the practice of teaching children in the early years. The pedagogical research has been carried out by academics and practitioners.
Please pick and choose from the links below to read at your leisure… All these links are accessible and on the public domain.
This is by no means intended to be an exhaustive or selective list.
- Dalli, C., White, E.J., Rockel, J., Duhn, I., with Buchanan, E., Davidson, S., Ganly, S., Kus, L., & Wang, B. (2011) Quality education for under 2 year olds: what should it look like? A literature review. NZ Ministry of Education.
- DfE (July 2015) Early years pedagogy and policy: an international study
- DfE (Dec 2010) Children’s experiences of the early years foundation stage
- DfE (2010) Practitioners experiences of the early years foundation stage
- DfES (2003) Birth to three matters: a review of the literature lists and explains the theories and the main key messages
- DfES (2003) research brief Birth to three matters: a review of the literature
- Evangelou, M. Sylva, K. and Kyriacou, M. (2009) Early years learning and development literature review, DCSF.
- Mathers, S., Eisenstadt, N., Sylva, K., Soukaku, E. and Ereky-Stevens, K. (2014) Sound Foundations A review of the research evidence on quality of early childhood education and care for children under three, Sutton Trust
- Mathers, S. and Smees, R. (2014) Quality and Inequality, do three- and four-year-olds in deprived areas experience lower quality early years provision? Nuffield Foundation
- Melhuish, E. C. (2004) A literature review of the impact of early years provision on young children, with emphasis given to children from disadvantaged backgrounds. University of Wollongong, Australia
- Moyles, J., Adams, S., Musgrove, A. (2002) SPEEL Study of Pedagogical Effectiveness in Early Learning: DfES Research Report 363. London: DfES.
- National College (2012) Leadership of great pedagogy in teaching school alliances: evidence from the literature
- Nutbrown, C. (2012) Nutbrown Review: Foundations for Quality, DfE.
- Nutbrown, C. (March 2013) Shaking the Foundations of Quality? University of Sheffield
- Pascal, C., Bertram, T., & Rouse, L. (2019). Getting it right in the Early Years Foundation Stage: a review of the evidence
- Peters, S. (2010) Literature review: transition from early childhood education to school. NZ Ministry of Education
- Play England (2012) A world without play: a literature review
- Play England (2006) Free play in early childhood a literature review
- Siraj-Blatchford, I., Sylva, K., Muttock, S., Gilden, R. and Bell, D. (2002), Researching Effective Pedagogy in the Early Years (REPEY): DfES Research Report 356. London: DfES, HMSO.
- Tickell report 2011 The early years: foundations for life, health and learning (An independent report on the EYFS to Her Majesty’s Government by Dame Claire Tickell 2011) and The early years foundation stage review: report on the evidence (March 2011)
The bibliographies of these documents and papers are extensive and are a great resource in themselves.
- Birth to 5 Matters includes bibliographies for each section and a combined bibliography for the guidance as a whole
- The College of Teaching has a reference and research section for members
- All documentation and supporting information for the EYFS statutory framework can be found on the Foundation years website