Some branches have more than one secretary, as duties can be sub-divided for example committee, membership, minutes, publicity or events.
Secretarial duties to be covered are:
- prepare agendas for the branch committee and the AGM (see pro formas section for a model branch committee meeting agenda)
- record minutes of committee meetings, and keep them on file
- give the secretary’s report at committee meetings
- write correspondence arising from committee meetings and keep copies
- at least annually, send a copy of the Branch Information Form, AGM report, branch programme and committee membership details to central office
- act as a central point for communication with other branch officers, committee members, and branch members
- liaise with the regional representative
- liaise with head office as needed regarding flyers or promotional materials for the national organisation
Events and promotion
- arrange the branch programme in conjunction with the committee. Fees should be arranged at the time of booking speakers.
- ensure that branch programmes and event details are sent to central office for promotion to members and non-member contacts for the branch
- ensure the information on the branch’s webpage is up to date and includes a brief description of the branch, a list of officers and at least one email or phone contact, and a list of all recent and upcoming branch events
- liaise with central office regarding event delegate lists